Our research interests focus on the elucidation of carbohydrate recognition systems of biological and medical importance. In particular, we are interested in the recognition of cancer-associated mucin type O-glycans by endogenous lectins. We use chemical and chemoenzymatic approaches to synthesize model glycopeptides and glycopeptide libraries as tools for probing glycan biology as well as elucidating the mechanisms of low affinity and selectivity of glycan-lectin interactions. Our ultimate goal is to better understand glycan interactions with their respective receptors that are involved in cancer progression and metastasis in order to aid the design and development of novel chemotherapeutic agents, cancer vaccines and drug delivery systems.
1. J. J. Lohmueller, S. Sato, L. Popova, I. M. Chu, M. Tucker, R. Barberena, G. Innocenti, M. Cudic, J. D. Ham, W. Cheung, R. D. Polakiewicz, and O. J. Finn(2016) Human anti-MUC1 monoclonal antibodies produced by healthy individuals in response to a prophylactic cancer vaccine: tumor specificity and immunotherapeutic potential, Nature Sci. Rep. 6 : 31740. PMID: 27545199 http://www.nature.com/articles/srep31740
2. A. Jakas, M. Perc, J. Suć, M. C. Rodriguez, M. Cudic, and P. Cudic (2016) Synthesis of Anthrose lipidic derivative as mimic of B. anthracis BclA glycoprotein for use in ELISA-like binding assays, J. Carbohydr. Chem. 35:69-85. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07328303.2016.1139124
3. M. C. Rodriguez, S. Yegorova, J-P. Pitteloud, A. E. Chavaroche, S. André, A. Ardá, D. Minond, J. Jiménez-Barbero, H-J. Gabius,and M. Cudic (2015) “Thermodynamic switch in binding of adhesion/growth-regulatory human galectin-3 to tumor-associated TF antigen and MUC1 glycopeptides.” Biochemistry, 54:4462-74. PMCID:4520625 http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.biochem.5b00555
4. S. Yegorova, A. A. E. Chavaroche, M. C. Rodriguez, D. Minond, M. Cudic (2012) “Analysis of low affinity glycan-lectin interactions using AlphaScreen technology.” Anal Biochem. 439: 123-131. PMID: 15705169 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003269713002194
5. A. Yongye, L. Calle, A. Arda, J. Jimenez-Barbero, S. André, H.-J. Gabius, K. Martinez-Mayorga, and M. Cudic (2012) “Molecular Recognition of TF antigen-Threonine Conjugate by Adhesion/Growth Regulatory Galectin-3: NMR Studies and Molecular Dynamics Simulations.” Biochemistry 51: 7278-7289. PMID: 22916968