The Terentis research group is making original contributions in three main areas of research: development of Raman spectroscopy as a cancer probe; elucidating the mechanisms of cellular uptake of cell-penetrating peptides (CPPs); and determining structure-activity relationships in enzymes that catabolize amino acids. A common thread running through all of this research is the use of Raman spectroscopy and other optical spectroscopic techniques in novel ways to determine the characteristics of biological systems. The research is interdisciplinary, combining instruments, models and approaches from physical chemistry, biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, and clinical medicine. Dr. Terentis is also interested in chemical education research, particularly relating to the improvement of student learning outcomes in Physical Chemistry courses, and in developing new physical chemistry laboratory experiments and experiences.
* PJ Cosme, J Ye, S Sears, EP Wojcikiewicz, AC Terentis, Label-Free Confocal Raman Mapping of Transportan in Melanoma Cells, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2018:15(3);851-860. [PMID: 29397737]
* TC Foo, AC Terentis, KV Venkatachalam, A continuous spectrophotometric assay and nonlinear kinetic analysis of methionine γ-lyase catalysis, Analytical Biochemistry, 2016:507;21-26. [PMID: 27235171]
* SJ Friedman, AC Terentis, Analysis of G-Quadruplex Conformations using Raman and Polarized Raman Spectroscopy, Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 2016:47(3);259-268. [DOI: 10.1002/jrs.4823]
* SA Fox, A Shanblatt, H Beckman, J Strasswimmer, AC Terentis, Raman Spectroscopy Differentiates Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC) From Normal Skin Following Treatment with a High-Powered CO2 Laser, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 2014:46(10);757–772. [PMID: 25345858]
* AC Terentis, SA Fox, SJ Friedman, ES Spencer, Confocal Raman microspectroscopy discriminates live human metastatic melanoma and skin fibroblast cells, Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, 2013:44(9);1205-1216.
* M Freewan, MD Rees, TS Sempértegui Plaza, E Glaros, YJ Lim, X-S Wang, AWS Yeung, PK Witting, AC Terentis, SR Thomas, Human Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase is a Catalyst of Physiological Heme Peroxidase Reactions – Implications for the Inhibition of Dioxygenase Activity by Hydrogen Peroxide, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2013:288(3);1548-1567. [PMID: 23209301]
* J Ye, SA Fox, M Cudic, EM Rezler, JL Lauer, GB Fields, AC Terentis, Determination of Penetratin Secondary Structure in Live Cells with Raman Microscopy, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2010:132(3);980-988. [PMID: 20041639]